Greetings from the Department of Peace and Conflict Studies
Here’s to share the activities and achievements by the Students and Faculty of the department of PCS. Since its inception in 2008 as the first department in Pakistan providing degrees in Peace and Conflict Studies, we have produced not only numerous Masters and MPhil students but we have awarded maximum number of PhDs degrees in NDU.
We are proud of being the pioneers in this discipline. Following on our footsteps, other renowned institutions across Pakistan have also set up Peace Studies Departments and offering degrees in this discipline. As a result of our efforts, not only Higher Education Commission has recognized Peace and Conflict Studies as a separate discipline but also formed the first ever National Curriculum Revision Committee for Peace and Conflict Studies.
Throughout the year, PCS faculty and students have been actively engaged not only in research and collaboration but also represented NDU on different national and international forums.
Here’s to share with you briefly PCS activities during the year 2014-2015.
On March 17-18, 2015, PCS held a two-day national conference on “Challenges to Human Security and Development in Pakistan”, scholars and educationists from various universities of Pakistan participated in the conference. Before this conference, PCS department organized its first national conference on ” Issues of National Integration and Harmony in Pakistan” which was held in 2014 and resulted in a book under the same title published by Konrad Adenuer Stiftung(KAS) . In 2016, we are planning the third National Conference in the month of March. We also intend to organize an International Conference at our department next year.
Alumni Lecture Series
PCS has also been inviting former students of PCS under “Alumni Lecture Series” to share their experiences in the field , we had former students who are now working in different capacities shared their experiences as a professional.
Research and Collaboration:
• PCS Head of the Department Dr. Ishtiaq Chaudhary presented a paper on local bodies system in a seminar on “Devolution of Power to Local Governments, Challenges and Reforms” organized by Islamabad Policy Research Institute” on September 30, 2015.
• Associate Professor , Dr. Arshi Saleem Hashmi has published a paper on ” Pakistan Protection Act ” in the Pakistan Journal of History and Culture,Qauid-e-Azam University and another paper on Conflict Prevention Mechanism in Pakistan published by Program on Peace Studies and Conflict Resolution, International Relations Department, University of Karachi. She also presented a paper on ” ISIL and Radicalization in South Asia” at the international seminar organized by the National Defence University in Washington DC.
• Assistant professor Dr. Khurram Iqbal authored a book “The Making of Pakistani Human Bombs”.
• Assistant Professor Maria Saifuddin Effendi has published a chapter “The Dynamics of Conflict Prevention: Concepts and Approaches”, in Moonis Ahmar (ed.), The Challenge of Conflict Prevention in Pakistan: A Case Study of Karachi, Karachi: BCCT University of Karachi, 2015.
• MSc Graduate Mariam Akhtar published a paper on “Insurgencies in South Asia: A Comparative case study of India’s Maoist and Pakistani Taliban”, published by Margalla Papers, special edition 2015.
• M Phil Scholars Hammad Khan and Talal Mustahsan Raza presented a paper on “Militancy in Pakistan” on behalf of NDU delegation during a five day National Harmony Workshop organized on May 11-15, 2015 by National Defence University and Higher Education Commission.
• Associate professor Dr. Arshi Saleem Hashmi attended an Executive Education Program on Counter Terrorism at Harvard University held on April 26-May 01, 2015. She is currently at Yale University, USA as Yale World Fellow 2015.
• Assistant Professor Dr. Khurram Iqbal is nominated by President NDU to participate in 18th International Symposium titled “Security in the Asia Pacific Region and China’s Peaceful Development” in College of Defence Studies (CDS), NDU China. The event is scheduled from 15-30 October 2015
• Assistant Professor Maria Saifuddin Effendi is selected as Academic Advisor for Rotary Peace Centers Committee, Rotary International (USA). She is the only Pakistani and the only South Asian who is part of the selection panel for Rotary World Peace Fellowship 2016-18.
• Assistant Professor Maria Saifuddin Effendi has been part of Track II initiative between India Pakistan Militaries, known as “Ottawa Military to Military Dialogue in 2014. She participated in two dialogues in February and November 2014.
• Lecturer Ali Irtiza represented NDU in training on “Transnational Organized Crime and Non-traditional threats to security in Germany on August 19-September 03, 2015 organized by George C. Marshall European Center for Security Studies and attended by participants from 49 different countries.
• M Phil Scholar Imran Ali has been selected among eight youth representatives from Pakistan to participate in Afghan-Pakistan (Af-Pak) Youth Dialogue with Afghan youth delegation. This dialogue has been jointly organized by Peace Education and Development Foundation (PEAD) and Afghanistan New Generation Organization, Kabul.
• M Phil Scholar Talal Mustahsan Raza has been selected as Member 7th Youth Parliament Pakistan (2015) administered by Pakistan Institute of Legislative Development and Transparency (PILDAT).
• M Phil scholars Sajid Mehsud and Talal Mustahsan Raza were selected for a virtual internship at Planning Commission, Ministry of Planning, Development and Reform. Both students were selected on merit among 100 interns from across Pakistan out of 15000 applications received.
• MSc student Zahid Rehman was selected to participate in a training on Conflict resolution organized by Institute for the Study of Conflict Transformation and Social Justice, Queen’s University, in Belfast UK.
• PCS students under the supervision of Assistant Professor Maria Saif-uddin Effendi have set up a blog to promote the message of peace and stability